How to Puree Pumpkin
I have been getting calls about how to make pumpkin puree, so here are the instructions.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Rinse pumpkin. Cut in half. Remove seeds and strings.
3. Rub cut surface with oil. Place cut side down in a roasting pan.
4. Bake in the oven until flesh is tender when pierced with a knife. This takes about 90 minutes depending on size of pumpkin.
5. Remove from oven and let cool.
6. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pumpkin flesh.
7. Puree pumpkin in a food processor, food mill, or blender.
8. Pumpkin contains a lot of moisture. Line a sieve or fine mesh colander with cheese cloth or a coffee filter and set in a deep bowl. Let drain a couple of hours.
Use the puree to make a pumpkin pie or other food item. The puree can also be frozen.