Feeding Strategies to Support Children’s Healthy Weight
• Eat with your children
• Reduce distractions by turning off electronic devices including the television.
• Be a positive role model. If you are eating potato chips, most likely your children will want chips as well.
• Offer a variety of foods.
• Offer children small portions but reassure them they can have more if they are still hungry.
• Let children serve themselves.
• Focus on portion sizes for children. Children do not need portion sizes as large as adult portions.
• Schedule regular meals and snacks.
• Create a positive environment by promoting positive communication and setting expectations for behavior at the table.