February Is American Heart Month
Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of Americans. One in three deaths is caused by heart attack or stroke amounting to 800,000 fatalities each year. During the month, enjoy these red foods and drinks.
- Red Smoothie – blend one cup low-fat yogurt, ½ cup frozen strawberries, ½ cup frozen raspberries and one frozen banana.
- Red Pasta – cook whole-wheat spaghetti and top with low-sodium marinara sauce and diced tomatoes.
- Baked Red Apples – core an apple and fill with ¼ cup chopped almonds, ¼ cup dried cranberries, 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon brown sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until sugar bubbles and apple is getting tender.
- Stuffed Red Pepper – Stuff a red bell pepper with ½ cup cooked brown rice, ¼ cup ground turkey, ¼ diced red onion and dash of salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees until pepper is heated through.
- Red Raspberry Sorbet – Enjoy a bowl of raspberry sorbet along with a few frozen raspberries that have been thawed.