Sweeten Up Your Meals with Fruit
Fruit can be a great way to sweeten up meals and snacks. In addition to great flavor and variety, fruits offer a lot of nutritional value. Berries have about 100 calories per cup. They are a good source of antioxidants and fiber. Cantaloupe is a good source of vitamins A and C and potassium. Watermelon contains vitamin C and lycopene.
Here are some tasty ways to add fruit to meals and snacks.
• Make smoothies with fruit, yogurt and milk.
• Serve fruit kabobs.
• Make a berry crisp.
• Rather than topping a cake with frosting, use berries and dairy topping.
• Make a fruit dip and serve with an assortment of fresh fruits.
• Set out a bowl of strawberries for snacking.
• Mix up a fruit salsa to serve with meat, poultry or fish.
• Preserve fruits by canning or freezing for enjoyment during the winter.