Backyard Barbeque – Kabobs are A Healthy Option
Kabobs (or kebabs) and skewers are great when you’re grilling for a crowd because you can easily make a meal that includes both vegetarians and meat eaters. Just skewer the vegetables, tofu, chicken and meat separately and let everyone choose what they want.
- Place small onions, red potatoes, or tomatoes on a skewer. Snip off lower sturdy branches from a rosemary plant. Insert the rosemary in the holes created by the skewers where the vegetables are placed. When the vegetables are done cooking, the rosemary can be removed.
- Slice asparagus into three inch pieces and thread on a skewer. Brush a little olive oil on the asparagus and place on the grill.
- Place three or more types of vegetables on a skewer and season with olive oil and sea salt or herbs. Select vegetables that have a similar cooking time i.e. carrots, potatoes, and onions.
- Hands-on food like ribs and wings work well when put on a skewer. Cover with BBQ sauce and grill.
- Consider fish. Tuna, salmon, and halibut are good sources of omega-3s and protein while having less saturated fat than beef.
- Instead of using a bottle of marinade or sauce, squeeze fresh lime, lemon or orange onto shrimp, scallops, or chicken to provide great flavor with very few calories.