Coconut water is the clear liquid inside young green coconuts. Coconut water has a sweet, nutty flavor. This product is low in calories, naturally fat- and cholesterol free, and is a very good source of potassium.
Plain coconut water could be a better choice for people looking for a beverage that is less sweet. One 11-ounce container has 60 calories and if you drink several containers in one day, the calories can add up. When selecting coconut water, select plain coconut water and avoid products made with added sugars and juices.
In addition to being consumed as a beverage, coconut water has several uses. Coconut water can be:
- added to smoothies along with yogurt and fruit.
- used as a liquid for poaching fish and steaming vegetables.
- combined with chicken or vegetable broth to make a base for Indian or Thai soup.
- used as a liquid for cooking rice.
- frozen to make ice cubes.
- mixed with lemonade to make a refreshing summer beverage.
- blended with milk when cooking oatmeal.