What’s not to like about hummus. This product is made with protein-rich beans and heart-healthy olive oil. It tastes great and pairs well with many foods. If you choose not to make your own hummus, here are some tips when selecting hummus at the supermarket.
- Check the Nutrition Facts label to determine the amount of sodium. While a number of brands are low in sodium, many have 200-milligrams in just one 2-tablespoon serving.
- Watch the serving size. As previously mentioned, a serving is 2 tablespoons. It is easy to consume far more than 2 tablespoons when enjoying hummus with vegetables or chips.
- There are a number of varieties of hummus that are using nontraditional ingredients – different beans and vegetables to add more flavor.
- Hummus can be used in place of mayo in a sandwich. Or toss with hot spaghetti.
- Look for a hummus that has at least 2 grams of protein per serving.