How to Choose the Right Type of Pasta to Use
- Tubes. Tubular shapes like penne and ziti are perfect with hearty, thick sauces like ragu. Other tubes like lumaconi are generally stuffed with cheese, sausage or vegetables such as mushrooms and spinach.
- Ribbons. Wide, flat pastas like papperdelle are ideal for sopping up creamy sauces.
- Rods. Long, round pastas like spaghetti are best with olive oil - and tomato-based sauces which coat east strand.
- Shapes. Chunky vegetable sauces go better with short pastas that have crevices to trap the sauce.
- Wheels. Ruote is a wagon wheel pasta that adds interest to salads or soups.