Make Holiday Beverages Healthier
In addition to tasty treats, there are so many delicious beverages to enjoy during the holiday season. Here are some tips for selecting and making healthy beverages.
- When serving eggnog , fill your glass with half- to three-quarter-parts of low-fat or skim milk and one part eggnog. You’ll still get the flavor without all the calories.
- Pass on a dollop of whipped cream to save calories.
- When ordering hot chocolate ask that it be made with low-fat or skim milk, and without thewhipped cream. When purchasing hot chocolate packets, look for those marked “low-fat/fat-free” or “low-sugar/sugar-free.” Be sure to add the mix to low-fat milk, skim milk or hot water. Go easy on the toppings. Use five to eight mini-marshmallows instead of large ones. If using whipped cream, look for low-fat versions and stick to less than one tablespoon.
- When buying apple cider at the store, check its added sugar content. Many products contain added sugars, which can increase your calorie intake and cause weight gain. Choose low-sugar and sugar-free options. When making cider at home, use unsweetened apple juice and a variety of spices (like cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg and whole cranberries). You’ll keep the flavor while cutting calories.
- Instead of alcohol in mixed drinks, use club soda.
- Mix 100-percent juice with water or use freshly squeezed juice instead of adding sugar to mixed drinks.