Selecting a Healthy Soup When Dining Out
On a cold and blustery day, there is nothing like a bowl of steaming soup. Here are some tips for making a wise choice when selecting a bowl of soup when dining out.
- Creamy and cheese soups can have a significant amount of saturated fat. Instead select a clear broth soup such as chicken noodle or vegetable beef soup.
- Soup can be a great source of fiber and nutrients. Choose soups filled with beans, vegetables, and lean protein sources.
- If you are ordering soup and an entrée, you may want to select a cup of soup rather than a bowl of soup.
- Remember that some soups served at restaurants can contain a significant amount of sodium.
- When ordering soup, consider pairing soup with a salad or sandwich made with whole grain bread and lean protein.
- Skip soup toppings such as a sprinkle of cheese, crumbled bacon or croutons as these items can increase saturated fat and sodium content of the soup.