Donating to a Food Drive? Keep These Tips in Mind
Community groups and social organizations often host food drives to fill local food pantry shelves this time of years. Good examples of foods to donate include:
• Whole grain or enriched pasta and instant rice – either brown or enriched.
• Canned vegetables, especially those without salt.
• Fruits canned in juice, unsweetened applesauce, and dried fruits like raisins.
• Spaghetti sauce, salsa and canned beans.
• Canned meats. Do not donate meat canned at home.
• Peanut butter.
• Reduced –sodium broth and soups.
• Condiments like ketchup and mustard.
Consider donating cash to food pantries. Pantries can often get more for their dollars, address shortages and needs, and focus on high quality products with some extra financial assistance.
Source: Amber Canto, Poverty and Food Security Specialist, UW-Extension