The Economic Impact of the Dairy Industry on the State of Wisconsin
The dairy industry is important to Wisconsin. In honor of June dairy month, here are some facts about the dairy industry.
- If Wisconsin were a country, we would rank fourth in the world in terms of cheese production. And Wisconsin wins more awards for its cheese than any other state or country in national and international cheese competitions.
- Wisconsin cheese makers produce more than 600 varieties, types and styles of cheese.
- One cow produces about 350,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime.
- More than 10 pounds of milk goes into one pound of cheese.
- The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends dairy products as a key part of a healthy diet.
- About 9 percent of all milk produced by U.S. dairy farmers is used to produce ice cream