Tips for Encouraging Family Physical Activity
The number of obese children and adolescents has increased significantly in the past four decades. As a parent, grandparent or caregiver what can you do? One option is to encourage family physical activity. Here are some tips for encouraging physical activity.
- Limit screen time. Screen time which includes television, video games and computer use to no more than two hours a day. By setting limits, you help them learn to balance their lives with a variety of activities.
- Schedule Active Time. Set aside time every week to schedule time for family activities.
- Rethink placing televisions in bedrooms. Seventy-seven percent of sixth graders have a television in their room. Likewise, younger children do not need a computer in their room.
- Plan for variety by scheduling several activities for your children to experience.
- Look for opportunities to move. Don’t take the closest parking space. Park at a distance and walk a few extra steps. Ask children to join you when walking the dog. Use the stairs when possible.
- Look for community activities. Many communities have planned activities for families. Take advantage of these events. Many of these events are free.
Source: Iowa State University Extension.