Understanding Egg SelectionShopping for eggs use to be simple – extra -large, large or medium, brown or white. There is a wider selection of eggs in the supermarket. Here is a guide to help you with labels on eggs.
· Caged hens. Most eggs sold in the super market come from caged hens. These cages house a number of chickens.
· Cage-free hens. These hens live in large barns and are free to walk and move around.
· USDA Organic. These chickens are not caged and have outdoor access. They are fed an organic, vegetarian diet free from antibiotics, hormones, or pesticides.
· Natural. Products labeled natural are minimally processed and have no artificial ingredients.
· Omega-3. Hens are fed fish or flaxseed.