How to Build a Healthier BurgerFootball fever continues at a high pitch in Green Bay with the Green Bay Packers traveling to Seattle to take on the Seahawks this weekend. With a football game in Green Bay, comes lots of parties and at these events is plenty of food. Since temperatures in Green Bay are above zero again, a number of grills most likely will be fired up for food preparation prior to the game or at halftime. Whether you are enjoying a hamburger while watching a sporting event or as part of a meal, here are some tips for enjoying a healthier burger.
· Whole grain buns are a better option than white buns. To save some calories try a whole wheat English muffin.
· Consider a turkey burger rather than a beef burger. If you choose beef, make sure to purchase the leanest hamburger you can afford.
· Rather than topping a hamburger with strips of bacon, layer grilled vegetables on top such as mushrooms, bell peppers and onions. Another option is to pile high the veggie toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.
· If you’re a cheeseburger lover, stick with one slice of cheese or you’ll send the calories and sodium through the roof.
· Be mindful with condiments like ketchup, mayo, and barbecue sauce because of the extra fat and sugar and keep portions to 1 tablespoon. Another option is to use mashed avocado as a creamy spread.