A Healthy Pasta SaladI recently was going through my cookbooks as I need to bring a pasta salad to an upcoming event. I was looking for a healthy pasta salad recipe that included a number of healthy ingredients. During my search which was not producing many options, I came across this formula for making a healthy, great tasting pasta salad.
4 cups cooked pasta + 4 cups chopped vegetables + 1-2 cups lean protein + ½ -1 cup flavor booster +3/4 cup dressing = great tasting pasta salad.
1. Chose whole-wheat pasta. I selected bow ties, so cooked three cups of dry pasta to get four cups of cooked pasta.
2. Select vegetables. I thawed frozen peas, added some mushrooms and a little onion to equal four cups.
3. Add lean protein. I considered options like hard-boiled eggs, cooked chicken breast, cooked ham, beans and tuna. I selected diced ham.
4. For a burst of flavor, I considered dried cranberries, cheese, olives, salami and sun-dried tomatoes. I chose ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
5. For a dressing, I wanted something healthy. I made a buttermilk dressing with low-fat mayonnaise, buttermilk, a little salt and some fresh dill.