Summer grilling is a wonderful way to enjoy the flavors of summer. Here are some tips for creating a healthier burger.
* Bread. Whole-wheat buns are a better option than white bread. Or try a toasted whole-wheat English muffin for variety.
* Patty. To make a healthy burger, you can use lean beef, poultry, even bison. Even if you don't eat meat, you can enjoy a burger. Aside from the standard veggie burgers, try a marinated and grilled portobello mushroom cap in a bun. If serving meat, remember a serving is three ounces.
* Toppings. Bacon does not add much nutritional value. You can add moisture, flavor, and nutrition with the following ingredients, either inside or on top of the burger:
Lettuce or dark leafy greens
Fruit or vegetable relishes
Barbeque or steak sauce
* Condiments. Make your burger healthier with a thin coat of ketchup, mustard and/or low-fat mayonnaise. Use mashed avocado as a creamy spread to add heart-healthy fats to your burger. Another option is salsa.
* Cheese. Instead of a slice of cheese, sprinkle on grated sharp Cheddar. You will need less to cover your patty.