November is National Peanut Butter Month
Americans have long had a love affair with peanuts. And why shouldn’t we? Not only do peanuts have a powerful seven grams of protein per serving, they are also packed with flavor and shine in snacks and meals from savory to sweet. Plus, peanuts deliver a comparable nutritional bang for a reasonable cost. Here are some fun facts about peanuts from the National Peanut Board.
· The average American eats 6.6 pounds of peanuts per year (in the form of snack peanuts, peanut butter, peanut flour, peanut oil and other products).
· It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
· There are enough peanuts in one acre to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
· By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
· The world’s largest peanut butter factory churns out 250,000 jars of the tasty treat every day.
· Peanuts account for two-thirds of all snack nuts consumed in the USA.
· Peanuts contribute more than $4 billion to the USA economy each year.
· Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter.
· The average peanut farm is 100 acres.
· Peanut butter/peanut paste is the leading use of peanuts produced in the U.S. (1/2); followed by snack nuts and in-shells (1/4); and, candy and confections (1/4).
So plan to enjoy some peanuts this month as well as throughout the year.