Great Food Choices for 2016With the start of the New Year, many people make resolutions related to health. In addition to planning to exercise more frequently, make plans to select healthier foods when shopping at the grocery store.
Here are some great foods to put in your shopping cart.
· Nuts and seeds of all types are a heart-healthy choice.
· Avocados are high in monounsaturated fat which are heart healthy. They can help lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
· Healthy oils like olive oil and canola oil are heart healthy choices. Canola oil has less saturated fat than other oils. Olive oil has a beneficial effect on cholesterol.
· Greens are nutritional power houses. They have high amounts of immune-boasting vitamins, minerals and cancer-fighting phytonutrients along fiber. Greens include but are not limited to spinach, kale, avocados, baby arugula, lettuce, and asparagus.
· Tuna and salmon are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids. These foods can lower blood pressure, lower triglycerides and curb inflammation.
· Whole grains are good sources of fiber, vitamins and minerals. In addition to whole grains like oatmeal, popcorn and barley, try some of the ancient grains like spelt, amaranth, quinoa and wheat berries.