What to Look for When Purchasing Chili
Here are some tips for selecting a healthy chili. Look for a product with beans.
- Beans are a great source of plant based protein and fiber.
- Check the Nutrition Facts Label for sodium content for serving and compare with other brands of chili.
- If the brands have comparable amounts of sodium, stretch the servings by adding corn, diced tomatoes or whole grain pasta. In Northeast Wisconsin, many people eat chili served on top of pasta in a soup bowl.
- Don’t eat the whole can of chili at one meal. Remember there are multiple servings in a can.
- In addition to the chili, add a salad, whole grain bread, crackers or pasta along with a serving from the dairy group.