“Lettuce” Make a Healthy SaladThe holidays are over and you may be thinking about losing a few pounds. Salads are a great option for dieters if the right ingredients are chosen. When you make a salad consider using some or all of these ingredients.
· Vegetables – Choose at least one vegetable from each of these groups: cruciferous (broccoli, kale, red cabbage) root (carrots or beets) and allium (onion).
· Mushrooms – This powerhouse contain selenium, potassium, and B vitamins.
· Avocados, Nuts and Seeds – They contain monounsaturated fat – considered to be a healthy fat.
· Dried fruits – Need a tangy flavor? Add some dried cranberries.
· Salmon, Chicken, Eggs, Turkey or Beans – These protein sources make a salad a meal. Remember a serving of meat is 3 ounces.
· Oil-and-Vinegar- Base-Dressing – These ingredients make a great dressing. Remember to use dressings sparingly due to calorie content.
· Greens – Select dark, leafy greens like kale, spinach, and Swiss chard are very nutrient dense, a much healthier choice than ice berg lettuce.