Tips for Low Cost Holiday Entertaining
While the holiday season is often filled with joy, it can be a challenge to deal with all of the expenses incurred for travel, gift giving and entertaining. Here are some tips for low cost holiday entertaining.
- Involve others. Ask guests to bring a dish to contribute to the holiday event. This could be an appetizer, side dish, main course, or beverage.
- Serve a non-traditional meal. Purchasing a turkey or cut of beef can be expensive. Instead, try serving a couple different types of soup or pasta with an assortment of sauces.
- Look for items on sale. Take a look at store ads before shopping. Using coupons can save money.
- Keep the meal simple. Often more food is served than is needed. Serve a main dish with a couple of side and a dessert. There often is not a need for multiple desserts.
- Consider leftovers. Use leftovers in soups and casseroles.
- Set up a baked potato bar. Potatoes are an economical food and easy to prepare. Provide an assortment of toppings.